Jodrell Bank Centre for Engagement is part of The University of Manchester. When you visit any of the University websites including this one, the following information is received and stored by our web servers: anonymised details of your IP address, browser type and operating system; and the web pages you visited.
This data is known as web server logs. We use this information strictly to analyse how the University websites are used by our visitors and we may archive this information in an anonymous form for historical records.
The University’s websites, including this one, use ’cookies’ which are text files placed on your computer when you visit a site which help us understand how you use our websites. Cookies don’t collect personal data from your computer, only the data created by your browsing. Some cookies remain on your computer after you leave the website; these are called ‘persistent’ cookies. Others are deleted automatically when you close your browser and others simply expire. We use the following cookies on our websites:
- Analytics cookies and advertising cookies set by Google Analytics: We may collect non-personally-identifiable information relating to your use of our sites via Google Analytics technology. This may include: which pages you see; how long you stay; what you click on our pages; if you visit the website again; which country and city you are browsing from; etc. This data is collected for the purpose of monitoring and understanding the effectiveness of our website. We also collect data relating to the demographics and interests of our users via Google Analytics and cookies set by Google advertising networks. This data is used in aggregated form to help improve the website and Jodrell Bank Centre for Engagement’s marketing and public engagement efforts. Further information and instructions for opting out of Google Analytics tracking are available at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
- Tracking cookies (social media): ClickTale, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Tracking cookies (media): Vimeo, Flickr and Zmags
- Tracking cookies (search): eScholar, ELGAR and EBSCO
- Tracking cookies (web satisfaction survey): At certain times of the year we may ask users to complete our website feedback survey. As soon as a user opts to complete the survey, or tells us they don’t want to, the website will install a cookie on the user’s machine to remember this choice. This is to ensure that the survey is not presented to users who have already filled it in or who have told us they do not wish to.
- Other tracking cookies: BBC, live.com, PowerPoint (Microsoft) and fwmrm.net
You can choose not to accept cookies by changing your browser settings or deleting existing cookies installed on your computer. Visit https://www.aboutcookies.org/ for information on how to do this.
This privacy statement applies to Jodrell Bank Centre for Engagement. Please note that some sites related to Jodrell Bank Centre for Engagement may collect and use data differently. If the user leaves this website and visits a website operated by a third party, Jodrell Bank Centre for Engagement cannot be held responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that users provide when visiting such third-party websites. Accordingly, users should exercise caution and review the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.