We are looking for friendly, outgoing people to join the team at Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre as Visitor Welcome Volunteers!
Apply via email with your CV and a covering letter, quoting “Visitor Welcome Volunteer” in the subject heading.
Please note that Jodrell Bank is in a rural location (20 miles from the main University campus) and has no public transport service so access to personal transport is essential. Please also note that this role includes holidays and half terms.
What’s it all about?
Are you passionate about meeting and interacting with visitors, and supporting an exceptional visitor experience?
Would you like to play a part in sharing and celebrating Jodrell Bank’s scientific, cultural, and historical significance?
Would you like to join a team responsible for engaging, inspiring and involving audiences in our unique site?
As part of our exciting ‘First Light at Jodrell Bank project’ we have started a brand new volunteering programme. If you’d like to join our growing team of dedicated volunteers and play a vital role in welcoming visitors to Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre, the publically accessible part of Jodrell Bank Observatory, the UK’s 32nd UNESCO World Heritage Site please apply.
- Showcase the very highest standards of visitor welcome, whilst representing our inclusive, relaxed, and open ethos.
- Welcome visitors on arrival to Jodrell Bank, facilitating their orientation and understanding and guiding them as necessary.
- Identify visitors who may need help with access, advise on the availability of wheelchairs.
- Support the ongoing pioneering science of Jodrell Bank by advising each and every visitor to ensure their phones are switched off or on flight mode.
- Develop a familiarity with the Jodrell Bank site, and a sound knowledge of our facilities.
- Attend daily briefings and attain a thorough understanding of what’s on when, capacities, audience suitability and frequency.
- Distribute events listings, maps, guides, tokens and tickets for Science Shows and other sessions.
- Provide a friendly point of interaction to support visitor enjoyment throughout their visit, and provide a warm thank you on their departure.
What’s in it for you?
As well as benefits and opportunities for development, you will become an integral, and highly valued part of the Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre community, joining a group of volunteers and staff;
- dedicated to caring for and sharing our site
- supporting participation in science, culture and heritage
- valuing honesty and integrity, ensuring that our practises are always responsible, ethical and sustainable
- highlighting Jodrell Bank’s incredible feats and achievements
The role will suit you if you are:
- A friendly, outgoing person who likes meeting a broad range of people.
- A good communicator.
- A good team worker.
- Observant and aware.
- Punctual, reliable and flexible.
How to apply
Email a brief CV and covering letter stating how you meet the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to quote “Visitor Welcome Volunteer” in the subject heading.