Train times can be found on the National Rail website.
The most convenient station is at Macclesfield, which is on the West Coast Mainline from London Euston to Manchester. On arrival at Macclesfield you will then need to take a short 20-minute taxi ride to the Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre.
The taxi rank is directly outside the main exit from Macclesfield station.
There is also a station in the nearby village of Goostrey, on the line between Manchester and Crewe, followed by a 2.5m walk via narrow country lanes.
Alternatively, you may be able to book a taxi to collect you from Goostrey Station on arrival (there is no taxi rank at Goostrey Station as it is a small village stop).
If you do wish to walk from Goostrey Station, you may find the following directions helpful, though you are also urged to bring a map or similar as the country lanes are very narrow and there is no footpath. You are not advised to walk this route during hours of darkness as there are no street lights.
- Leave the Station and turn right.
- Turn right just after the church onto Church Bank.
- Continue along the Blackden Lane until it forks, take the right fork onto Bomish Lane. Please do not venture off this road. At one point it will appear that you are walking away from the telescope, but hold your nerve as you are on the correct road.
- Continue around the right hand bend and over the railway bridge.
- The entrance to the site is on the right just after the railway bridge.
Taxis from Goostrey
We have given the numbers of taxis we know sometimes pick up from Goostrey below.
We will try to keep this list up to date but cannot guarantee the availability of the taxi services so please make sure you have made your own arrangements before you take the train to Goostrey.
|MIB||: 01477 544041|
|Goostrey Taxi||: 01477 535060|
|Lawton’s Taxi||: 01477 534035|