This summer, we partnered up with the Association for Science and Discovery Centres and the Natural Environment Research Council to engage our visitors with a host of fun and fact-packed shows and activities exploring the world of environmental science.
Part of a two-year nationwide project, Operation Earth highlights the relevance of contemporary environmental science issues to everyone’s daily lives and to society’s future. We found it to be a wonderful way to celebrate our home planet alongside our friends and peers at great UK science centres including Eden Project, Natural History Museum, National Space Centre and many others.
We’re proud to have contributed to this fantastic project by:
- Delivering Operation Earth science shows to a total audience of over 7,000 children and young families, including at our award-winning festival of discovery, bluedot and in a dedicated autism-friendly show in partnership with New Leaf.
- Providing 229 hours of hands-on Operation Earth activities for visitors to Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre
- Helping a host of children and young families create over 200 environmentally friendly plant pots to plant and grow their own wildflowers (with thanks to the Jodrell Bank garden volunteers!)
- Presenting 5 special Meet the Expert sessions with environmental scientists.
- Engaging a further 300 people with Operation Earth via outreach activities including at the University of Manchester’s Community Festival.
- Giving out 70 Bee Backpack trails to visiting children to explore our gardens via fun bee-related games and activities
- Inspiring over 2,500 Jodrell Bank visitors to make their own planet pledge! You can see a few of them, including some of ours, below.
A huge thanks to everyone that took part!