On our dedicated Uniformed Group Saturdays, we can offer your group:
- A 60 minute session with one of our presenters inside our Inflatable Planetarium! See the different constellations, the phases of the Moon and explore some of the planets (depending on what’s visible around the time of your visit). This session is designed to cover key parts of your group’s badge! Plus, put your space questions to our expert presenter. Please note our Inflatable Planetarium is a dark and quiet environment and this session involves sitting on the floor for the duration of the show.
- Find out more about the giant Lovell telescope, it’s science and it’s history on our Telescope Path.
- Discover our interactive exhibitions in the Space Pavilion and Planet Pavilion.
- Explore our 35 acre gardens, including the Galaxy Garden and outdoor play area.
- Plus we’ll give you a 30 minute slot in our indoor picnic area, the Potting Shed, where you can eat your packed lunches (not provided, please pack your lunches!)
Dates for 2017:
- Saturday 4th February [FULL]
- Saturday 4th March [FULL]
- Saturday 25th March
- Saturday 29th April [FULL]
- Saturday 13th May [FULL]
- Saturday 10th June [FULL]
- Saturday 30th September [FULL]
- Saturday 21st October [FULL]
- Saturday 11th November [FULL]
- Saturday 2nd December
If your preferred date above is fully booked, add yourself to our Uniformed Group Day waiting list and we will contact you if the date becomes available again!
- Child: £7.00
- Adult: One free with every 7 children – £5.50 for any additional adults after this
- Minimum booking size: 15 children. Maximum number of children per day: 120. Larger groups will need to split into smaller groups of 30.
- Deposit of £100/ group to be made in order to secure your booking (see details below).
How To Make a Booking
|1||Call our (schools) bookings team to check availability and make a provisional booking on 0161 306 9587 (lines are open Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm – if calling outside these times, please leave a message)|
|2||We will send you a provisional booking confirmation and a deposit request form by e-mail.|
|3||To secure your booking, we require a deposit of £100 per group (maximum of 35 children per group). This deposit is non-refundable and will be deducted from your final payment. Deposits must be received within 21 days of making your provisional booking. If not received by this time, your booking will be offered to other groups. Please note that if you made your provisional booking before the 28th of February 2017, this does not apply to your booking.|
|4||When you have your final numbers, please complete our online confirmation form. Final numbers must be confirmed at least six weeks before your visit.|
|5||You will receive a payment request form. Your deposit will be deducted from the total amount.|
|6||Payment for the remaining cost of your trip must be made in advance, at least 28 days before your visit (please follow the instructions on your payment request form).|
|7||Two weeks before your visit, you will receive a detailed itinerary of your day, including timings and places for your planetarium session, visit of the exhibitions and lunch.|
- Please note that your time exploring our exhibition spaces will be self-guided: we do not offer tour guides. However, our expert staff will be on hand in the exhibitions to assist you and answer any questions.
- To help guide your group around the exhibitions, you can use the worksheets below. If you wish to use them, please print them out and bring them with you on the day.
- We highly recommend you download and read our Risk Assessment guidance document to help you assess the risks at the Discovery Centre.
- If you wish to familiarise yourself with the Discovery Centre before your visit, you are welcome to come for a free planning visit. Simply bring proof of your group membership (e.g. a letterhead) and show it at reception.
- Part of your visit will involve exploring the outside areas of the Discovery Centre, including the gardens. Please bring appropriate clothes in case the weather is inclement. If the weather is severe and you wish to do a different activity, please speak to a member of staff on the day. Please note if the wind is very strong, the gardens may be closed for safety reasons.
- All children must be actively supervised by a responsible adult at all times during their visit. There must be a suitable ratio of adults to children, taking into account children’ age and maturity (we recommend a ratio of 1:6 for age 5 and under and a ratio of 1:7 for ages 6-10).
- If for any reason your group is late arriving, or needs to leave earlier than planned on your itinerary, your Inflatable Planetarium session may need to be shortened, or cancelled. However, we will try our best on the day to accommodate any unforeseen circumstances.