Dates in 2017:
- Saturday 2nd December [FULL]
Dates in 2018:
- Saturday 20th January
- Saturday 3rd February
- Saturday 10th March
- Saturday 21st April
- Saturday 19th May
- Saturday 9th June
- Saturday 23rd June
To make a provisional booking, call our (schools) bookings on 0161 306 9520 (lines are open Monday to Friday, 11am to 4.30pm – if calling outside these times, please leave a message).
Our Uniformed Group days are very popular and get booked quickly. If your preferred date is fully booked, please fill in the form below to be added to our waiting list. We will contact you if that date becomes available again.
- Child: £7.00
- Adult: One free with every 7 children. £5.50 for any additional adults after this
- Minimum booking charge: 15 children (you are welcome to bring fewer than this, but please note you will be charged for 15)
- Maximum number of children per day: 120
- Larger groups will need to split into smaller groups of 30
- A non-refundable deposit of £105 per group is required in order to secure your booking. This amount will be deducted from your final payment.
The Inflatable Planetarium
As part of your day, your group will experience a 60 minute session inside our Inflatable Planetarium, led by one of our education presenters.
Your group will have the chance to see the different constellations, the phases of the Moon and explore some of the planets (depending on what’s visible around the time of your visit). They’ll also have the opportunity to put their space questions to our expert presenter!
This session is designed to cover key parts of your group’s badge.
Please note our Inflatable Planetarium is a dark and quiet environment and this session involves sitting on the floor for the duration of the show.
Please arrive promptly for your Inflatable Planetarium session. If for any reason your group is late arriving, or needs to leave earlier than planned on your itinerary, your Inflatable Planetarium session may need to be shortened, or cancelled. We will try our best on the day to accommodate any unforeseen circumstances.
As part of the day, we will schedule you a 30 minute lunch slot in our indoor picnic area; The Potting Shed. Please bring your own packed lunches with you on the day. We recommend children bring their lunches in separated named bags.
Please arrive promptly for your lunch. This is because other groups will also be scheduled to use the Potting Shed before and/or after you.
What to expect on the day
- Please note that your time exploring our exhibition spaces will be self-guided: we do not offer tour guides. However, our expert staff will be on hand in the exhibitions to assist you and answer any questions. We have also created a set of exhibition worksheets that you can bring with you (see below).
- You can download the relevant risk assessments for your trip from our risk assessment page.
- If you wish to familiarise yourself with the Discovery Centre before your visit, you are welcome to come for a free planning visit. Simply bring proof of your group membership (e.g. a letterhead) and show it at reception.
- Part of your visit will involve exploring the outside areas of the Discovery Centre, including the gardens. Please bring appropriate clothes in case the weather is inclement. If the weather is severe and you wish to do a different activity, please speak to a member of staff on the day. Please note if the wind is very strong, the gardens may be closed for safety reasons.
- All children must be actively supervised by a responsible adult at all times during their visit. There must be a suitable ratio of adults to children, taking into account children’ age and maturity (we recommend a ratio of 1:6 for age 5 and under and a ratio of 1:7 for ages 6-10).
To help guide your group around the exhibitions, you can use the worksheets below. If you wish to use them, please print them out and bring them with you on the day.
We also have a self-run activity called Be The Solar System. This is an outdoor activity pack, which you can run for your group. The pack contains instructions and resources that enable your group to create a model of the Solar System. The activity pack can be borrowed from reception, for a returnable deposit of £10.