1. Is my school eligible?
To qualify for this offer, your school must be eligible for the University of Manchester’s Widening Participation programme.
Please check if your school appears on our list of eligible schools.
If your school is a special school or Pupil Referral Unit, please contact our education team at 0161 306 9520 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. What's the offer?
- Eligible schools can claim up to 30 free places for a visit on our two workshop package, for KS3 and/or KS4 students
- Each school can claim this offer on one visit per year
- If you bring 45 or more students, your school will also receive a £100 bursary, which can go towards travel costs
- You are welcome to bring more students than this, however any additional students will be charged at our standard rate
- As part of your visit, your students will experience our Explore Your Universe workshop, plus a second workshop of your choice
The ‘Explore Your Universe’ workshop is suitable for KS3 and KS4. It’s an interactive workshop, which engages students with the radio astronomy research conducted at Jodrell Bank. Students test their problem solving skills with our laser puzzles, see hidden wavelengths with an infrared camera, and get an insight into what it’s like studying science at university.
You can download the risk assessment for this workshop from our risk assessment page.
To choose the second workshop of your visit, please head to our workshops page and explore our choices.
3. How to book
||Call our schools bookings line on 0161 306 9520 to check our availability and make a provisional booking – make sure you mention this Widening Participation offer!
||Confirm your booking by filling in our online confirmation form (you must call us first! Please select ‘Explore Your Universe’ as your first workshop choice)
||Please note the following conditions apply:
- At the end of your EYU workshop, all participating students and teaching staff must fill in a short evaluation form
- After confirming, if your school cancels less than 28 days before your visit, we reserve the right to charge your school the equivalent full cost of the trip
||Prepare for your visit by reading our pre-visit information.
4. What is Widening Participation?