1. Is my school eligible?
To be eligible for our free outreach programme, your school must meet the following criteria:
||Your school must be eligible for the University of Manchester’s Widening Participation programme. To check whether your school is eligible, please search our full list here.
||Your school must be within a reasonable drive time of the Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre. As a guide, we say up to around 1 hour’s travel time.
If you believe your school may be eligible for our free outreach offer, please make an enquiry by emailing our Education Manager. Make sure you include the name and address of your school.
2. What's the offer?
One of our expert presenters will visit your school to deliver our outreach workshop, ‘Explore Your Universe’, to your students.
The ‘Explore Your Universe’ workshop is suitable for KS3 and KS4. It’s an interactive workshop, which engages students with the radio astronomy research conducted at Jodrell Bank. Students test their problem solving skills with our laser puzzles, see hidden wavelengths with an infrared camera, and get an insight into what it’s like studying science at university.
The development of this workshop has been part of the Explore Your Universe project, funded by The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).
3. Important details
Outreach visits can be booked during term-time on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only.
- During the day, we will deliver our outreach workshop; ‘Explore Your Universe’, to your students
- The EYU workshop lasts a single lesson; between 45 and 60 mins (we will tailor it to fit into a lesson at your school)
- We can deliver the workshop to one class at a time (up to 40 students in each session)
- We will deliver the workshop multiple times throughout the day, to different classes (we are happy to deliver the workshop up to 5 times throughout the day)
- To make a booking, we must reach at least 90 students throughout the day
The EYU workshop requires a lab, as students use equipment that requires mains power.
We also ask that the workshops could take place in the same lab throughout the day, since we bring a lot of equipment which is impractical to move between lessons.
You can download the risk assessment for the EYU workshop at our risk assessment page.
4. How to book
||Make a enquiry by emailing our Outreach Officer. Make sure you include the name and address of your school.
||Confirm your booking by completing our online confirmation form (must be completed at least 4 weeks before your outreach date)
||Please note the following conditions apply:
- At the end of each workshop, all participating students and supervising teaching staff must fill out a short feedback form
- After confirming, there is a £150 cancellation charge should your school cancel your booking 28 days or fewer before your outreach date
||You can download the risk assessment for the Explore Your Universe workshop at our risk assessment page.
5. What is Widening Participation?
This outreach offer is provided as part of the University of Manchester’s Widening Participation Programme. This scheme aims to enable fairer access to a Manchester education for talented students, regardless of their background. For more information, please visit the University of Manchester’s Widening Participation page.