1. Is my school eligible?
To be eligible for our free outreach programme, your school must meet the following criteria:
||Your school must be eligible for the University of Manchester’s Widening Participation programme. To check whether your school is eligible, please search our full list here.
||Your school must be within a reasonable drive time of the Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre. As a guide, we say up to an hour’s drive.
If you believe your school may be eligible for our free outreach offer, please make an enquiry by emailing our Education Manager. Make sure you include the name and address of your school.
2. What's the offer?
One of our expert presenters will visit your school to deliver our outreach workshop, ‘The Invisible Universe’, to your students.
‘The Invisible Universe’ workshop is suitable for KS3 and KS4. It’s an interactive workshop, which engages students with current astronomical research undertaken at Jodrell Bank, and with the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope. Students test their scientific enquiry skills with our heat shield test, use their problem solving and communication skills with our laser puzzles, see hidden wavelengths with an infrared camera, and get an insight into STEM careers.
3. Important details
Outreach visits can be booked during term-time on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only, depending on availability.
- On the day, one member of our team will visit your school to deliver our outreach workshop
- Our outreach workshop lasts a single lesson; between 45 and 60 mins (we will tailor it to fit into a lesson at your school)
- The workshop can be delivered to up to 40 KS3/KS4 students at a time
- We can deliver the workshop up to four times throughout the day, to different groups of students
- To make a booking, we must reach at least 90 students throughout the day
Our outreach workshop requires a lab, as students use equipment that requires mains power.
We also ask that the workshops could take place in the same lab throughout the day, since we bring a lot of equipment which is impractical to move between lessons.
You can download the risk assessment for the workshop at our risk assessment page.
4. How to book
||Make a enquiry by emailing our Education Manager. Make sure you include the name and address of your school.
||Confirm your booking by completing our online confirmation form (must be completed at least 4 weeks before your outreach date)
||Please note the following conditions apply:
- At the end of each workshop, all participating students and supervising teaching staff must fill out a short feedback form
- After confirming, there is a £150 cancellation charge should your school cancel your booking 28 days or fewer before your outreach date
||You can download the risk assessment for our outreach workshop at our risk assessment page.
5. What is Widening Participation?
This outreach offer is provided as part of the University of Manchester’s Widening Participation Programme. This scheme aims to enable fairer access to a Manchester education for talented students, regardless of their background. For more information, please visit the University of Manchester’s Widening Participation page.